Re: [gtk-list] Feature Requests

On 12/09/98 David M. Anderson uttered the following other thing:

> 	Another thing: I added a feature to the clist such
> that highlighting of the cell tracks mouse movement, when
> the mouse clicks it is selected. In doing this I uncovered
> a performance lag with large lists (400k rows of 2 columns =
> 50+ Meg of memory): At the top of the list, the highlighted
> cell tracks the mouse cursor very well, yet at the bottom
> there is a noticeable lag time (smells like a linked-list).
> 	The capacity is annoyingly large (which is another
> thing: I would like the capability to bypass the strdup's and
> just use the one true string I already have allocated).
> 	The above is very important to me as I am, say,
> browsing a list of all the signals within a portion of a
> microprocessor.
>
> 	All in all, I am very impressed with the performance
> of the toolkit. Keep it up!

I actually rewrote the back end of gtkclist for a project I'm working on
such that it calls a callback to get the string to print in an entry
(row/column) such that the data is only in one place and I don't have to
update it.  Its part of a logic wave trace viewer I'm working on to hook
into our processor simulator, actually (coincidence?).

And there are some linked lists in there, though I think my version
removed the worst offenders (because of the back end rewrite I don't
have to keep track of data on a per cell basis, currently).

The code isn't finished yet, but I could probably clean it up a bit and
send it to you.

Brandon
--
 Brandon Long           "Do not thump the book of G'Quon.
 MD6 Crash Test Dummy            It is disrespectful."