gtk_clist_select_row() woes

I am happily using the clist widget under gtk+ v1.0.6 except for one major
annoyance -- gtk_clist_select_row() crashes my program whenever I try to
use it. If I click on a row myself, everything works great -- it's just
when I try to force a selection with gtk_clist_select_row() that I run
into trouble. Has anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions?

On another note, does anybody know why the gtk list archive on redhat
stops as of september?

Thanks,

mike