GtkFileSelection

Hi!
I asked this question in the gtk-app-dev-list, too, but got no result
other than extensions to my question, so I post the complete question
again on this list:

I have a problem with GtkFileSelection:

I'd like to include filter options for the dialog, so that the user may
choose to see nothing but .gif or nothing but .jpg in file selection
dialog. There is a function gtk_file_selection_complete which does
something similar:

gtk_file_selection_complete(fs, "*.gif");

This lets the dialog show just the gif file, but it also shows only
directories that end with .gif (this is not really what I want...). Also
it does not continue to preselect when I change the directory.
In addition it would be nice if the filter could be like in the bash
shell:

  ls *.{ps,html}

Will list "ps" and "html" files.

Any ideas or examples for a smooth solution?

Thanks in advance,
Roland Bock