Re: glibc

Yasholomew Yashinski <yashy@yashy.ottawa.on.ca> writes:

> I'm not on the list, so please reply off-list.
> I can't seem to find help in the many FAQs.
> This is the error I'm getting:
>
> euphoria:/home/yashy # rpm -i gtk+-1.0.6-1.i386.rpm
> failed dependencies:
>         glibc >= 2.0.7 is needed by gtk+-1.0.6-1
>

> I have SuSE 5.2 (upgraded to 5.3 via ftp).
> Thanks in advance, anxiously waiting to try gimp :)

Compiling from source is pretty easy. Unless you can find a SuSE
RPM of GTK+, this is will be your best bet.

Although SuSE uses the same packaging format as Red Hat, you
shouldn't generally expect packages to be cross-installable,
especially since Red Hat and SuSE use different C
libraries. (The problem in this case.)

SuSE will be upgrading to glibc for SuSE 6, but I expect there
will still be incompatibilities in other areas.

                                        Owen