Configuration bug? (libgtk and dependancy libs)

Hi all,

I am trying to load libgtk-1.1.so.1.0.0 dynamically using dlopen() but
this is failing since there are still undefined symbols in libgtk.  I can
load libgdk just fine.  The problem is that when the .so file is created
the dependency libraries are not included in the final link command.
Inspecting libgdk-1.1.la shows that the dependency libraries were linked
in, the pertinent line for libgdk is:

dependency_libs=' -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext -lX11 -lpthread'

Now looking at libgtk-1.1.la yields

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=''

So none of the dependency libs were linked against.  I am afraid that all
of the makefile skills predate autoconf and libtool so I haven't the
slightest idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

-Eric