"public" widget fields

To whomever knows:

I've noticed that Gtk exposes a lot of widget state simply by leaving
it available in each widget's structure.  For example, GtkEntry has
fields such as scroll_offset, timer, button, etc...  Are these fields
to be considered publicly accessible from outside of Gtk?  (e.g if I'm
writing interpreter bindings should I make it possible to access these
fields?)  If so, which are read only and which are read-write?

Dave