Re: Red Hat's gtk+-devel-1.0.4-1

Michael Poole <poole@graviton.res.cmu.edu> writes:

> johannes@nada.kth.se (Johannes Keukelaar) writes:
>
> > See the FAQ, question 2.6:
> >
> > 2.6 When compiling programs with GTK+, I get compiler error messages about not
> > being able to find "glibconfig.h".
> >
> > The header file "glibconfig.h" was moved to the directory
> > $exec_prefix/lib/glib/include/. $exec_prefix is the directory that was
> > specified by giving
> > the --exec-prefix flags to ./configure when compiling GTK+. It defaults to
> > $prefix, (specified with --prefix), which in turn defaults to /usr/local/.
> >
> > This was done because "glibconfig.h" includes architecture dependent
> > information, and the rest of the include files are put in $prefix/include, which
> > can be shared between different architectures.
>
> Okay, I feel obliged to point out that this is a pretty stupid place to put
> architecture-dependent header files.  What is wrong with putting glibconfig.h
> in $exec_prefix/include, which is conceptually the right place for
> architecture-dependent header files?

Reason 1:

If the include files are normally, but not always in $prefix/include,
then 99% of packages will not compile correctly with split
$prefix and $exec_prefix without manual tweaking. [ this is
the main argument against $exec_prefix/include/ ]

Reason 2:

When I looked at existing packages, there was no standard location,
($pgklibdir/include/ was as common as anything), and without a
standard location, I figured it was better to keep things in
a directory that was closely associated with the package,
rather than some random directory.

Regards,
                                        Owen