RE: [gtk-list] Re: Getting mouse motion events for child windows of widgets

> On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 09:19:27PM +0100, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> >
> > I need to get motion_notify events for all windows/widgets so I can
> > change the mouse cursor to show resizing handles.
> >
> > If I simply connect to the widgets' motion_notify signals I don't
> > always get the event (e.g. I don't get motion_notify events inside
> > the text window of an entry or spinbutton).
> >
> > I've tried using gdk_window_set_events() on all of the windows but
> > that doesn't work. I've even tried gdk_window_add_filter() to see all
> > events for all windows, but I never see any motion_notify events for
> > these windows (I see them for everything else).
>
> My understanding is: the motion_notify event means "there are motion
> events for you to look at."  You then need to retrieve the events
> using gdk_input_window_get_pointer, or gdk_input_motion_events.

But I'm not even getting the motion_notify event!

I think what you are saying relates to motion hints, which I'm not using
at present (maybe I should, but I don't really understand them).
Currently the code works OK, except over these child windows of widgets.

Damon