Getting mouse motion events for child windows of widgets

I need to get motion_notify events for all windows/widgets so I can
change the mouse cursor to show resizing handles.

If I simply connect to the widgets' motion_notify signals I don't
always get the event (e.g. I don't get motion_notify events inside
the text window of an entry or spinbutton).

I've tried using gdk_window_set_events() on all of the windows but
that doesn't work. I've even tried gdk_window_add_filter() to see all
events for all windows, but I never see any motion_notify events for
these windows (I see them for everything else).

Any ideas?

Damon