Re: [gtk-list] Re: GNOME Database kit

First of all, a database front-end is definitely an application that GNOME
needs. However...

//Database cursor abstraction layer which currently works only for ODBC.
//
//Next steps:
//
//Shared lib and dynamic load support in the DB login widget and the DB
//cursor  layer to allow different DB backends (ODBC, postgres, plain
//text files).

Isn't ODBC an abstracted, general interface already? Why add your own layer of abstraction over that? If you support ODBC, and someone wants to use it with some weird database system, all you have to do is write an ODBC driver, which is going to be more generally useful. (Of course, I don't know how simple it is to write an ODBC driver, but that's another story.) Besides, aren't there quite many ODBC drivers out there already? Why add unnecessary complexity?

Regards,

Johannes.
--
"The only luxury is freedom, freedom of the mind. They can chop off my head
and take everything else as long as they leave me that." -Dieter Meier of Yello

How do I connect to that real-life thing I keep hearing about?