Re: [gtk-list] Upgrading GTK+ on RedHat 5.0 machine

Hi,

the cleanest way of doing this is probably to just recompile control panel
with the new GTK version. I have had some success though with doing
the following:

1) Install GTK source in /usr/local/src/gtk...
2) compile GTK
3) install GTK into /usr/local/...
4) set your user's LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib
5) make sure all GTK programs you compile explicitly access
/usr/local/include
     before /usr/include. This should enable you to compile and link
programs
     agains the new GTK while keeping the old version around.
Unfortunateley this
     means that your root account (which uses control-panel) will not be
able to
     compile against the new GTK and run control-panel at the same time ...

This worked for me, although I haven't looked in a while as I never use
control-panel
and recompiled a new version of GIMP (against the new libraries) (the only
2 apps
I seem to use where these dependencies bit me) ...

--> Robert

 (Embedded
 image moved   "Ashton, Kristian"
 to file:      <Kristian.Ashton@dsto.defence.gov.au>