gtk+ on AIX

Hello,
  Has anyone on this list been able to compile gtk+ 1.0 on an AIX 4.x box?

I compiled an older version (real old, like before the 0.99.x naming scheme),
and that took around 3 days (because I'm not really smart about AIX), but I
finally got it, and gimp to build.  But now gimp is so much more (I was using
.99.15), and so I tried to update everything.  Unfortunately, gtk+ crapped
out real early because none of the stuff in glibconfig.h was getting set
correctly, (all the SIZEOF_*'s were 0), and I'm sure there were more problems.

I don't understand, though, because I did a configure, and it seemed to
know I was using aix 4.1.5, and at least configure finished.  Then when I
went to make, is when it crapped all over.  So, my question is, um, what am
I doing wrong I guess.  Am I supposed to use gtk-config for something?  I
thought I saw something to that effect a while ago, but it didn't *matter*
then.:)

-Brian