GTK & .Xdefaults/app-defaults/X resources?

I was thinking about converting an existing (Athena widgets) X application to
use GTK instead.  Half the application is in the app-defaults file.  In order
to minimize the amount of rewriting needing to be done, I was wondering if
there's any way I could use the existing app-defaults file structure in
GTK.  I am willing to modify it a bit, but I'd prefer not to have to convert
the entire thing to a GTK rc file.

Neither the GTK+ Tutorial nor the Reference Guide touches upon the use of
X resources (at least, as far as I could tell).

Please include my e-mail address in any responses since I currently do not
subscribe to this mailing list.

Thanks for any advice.

--
Robert Brown                        |         Continuum Software, Inc.
email:robertb@continuumsi.com       | 800 West Cummings Park, Ste 4950