Re: [gtk-list] Re: Glade - UI Builder

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Michael Beach wrote:

> Damon Chaplin wrote:
> >

> > Yes. I want to output a language-independant format. The current output
> > looks like this, but it's not complete and I'm open to suggestions:
> >
> > (What did you mean by the 'exported' widgets?)
> >
> > <Widget>GtkWindow
> >   <GtkWidget::name>window1
> >   <GtkWidget::x>-1
> >   <GtkWidget::y>-1
> >   <GtkWidget::width>-1
>
> [snippage]
>
> >       <GtkLabel::xalign>0.500000
> >       <GtkLabel::yalign>0.500000
> >       <GtkLabel::xpad>0
> >       <GtkLabel::ypad>0
> >     </Widget>
> >   </Widget>
> > </Widget>
> >

> I'd say there is nothing *wrong* with it, in and of itself. I would only
> find fault in it in that its gratuitously not the same as anything else
> -- looks kind of like sgml, but isn't. I too would advocate a lisp style

Why not use an SGML language.  I don't know SGML but I think this would
make the code snippent listed look something like this.
<Widget>
  <GtkWidget name="window1" x="-1" y="-1" width="-1" ...>
      <GtkLabel xalign="0,5" yalign="0.5" xpad="0" ypad="0">
    </Widget>
  </Widget>
</Widget>

I personally find this much easier to read than lisp.  It is a bit harder
to parse but not that much.  Especially if you're willing to resort to
using YACC or bison or something like that.
  Chris