Re: [gtk-list] objgtk vs. threads on RH 4.2

//
//On my RH 4.2 system (linuxthreads-0.5-1,libc-5.3.12-18), I get
//no gnome programs in obj-c to work:
//
//E.g.
//
//$./gulp
//
// ** ERROR **: Could not create per-user Gnome directory
//</home4/robert/.gnome> - aborting
//
//IOT trap/Abort (core dumped)
//
//
//Removing libpthread from the Makefile fixes this:
//
//OBJC_LIBS = -lobjc #-lpthread
//
//This seems to be related to different errno definitions in the different
//libs. E.g. gulp breaks when doing a (mkdir(/home4/robert/.gnome,0700) &&
//errno != EXISTS)

The problem is not so much that the errno definitions differ, but that errno in
libc5 under Linux is not thread safe. I.e. if one thread sets errno to
something, it will be set for all threads. Basically, if you want to do
threads, go for libc6. (As far as I know, though, switching libc is _not_
trivial. Go for a nice new distribution such as RH5. (Although that has other
problems.))

Regards,

Johannes.
--
A tidy room is the sign of a sick mind.

Gathering Magician in a Magic-less world?