Re: [gtk-list] Re: GC and GTK+

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

> On 22 Apr 1998, Vollmer Marius wrote:
>
> > Yes, we could use the GTK_TYPE_FOREIGN for giving info to Gtk about
> > foreign values.  The interpreter bindings would register a new type
> > (or several) with a parent type of GTK_TYPE_FOREIGN.  Associated with
> > this new type would be functions for destroying it, and what else is
> > needed.
> >
> >     GtkType gtk_type_new_foreign (char *name, GtkDestroyNotify, ...);
> >
> > We can then replace the DestroyNotify parameter thru out by a GtkType.
>
> Actually, I'd rather unify more: the existing pointer values passed by the
> signal handlers cause great problems for my Perl code (as it needs to know
> the exact type of each of those pointers). I'd change the GTK_TYPE_POINTER
> GtkType to include a DestroyNotify callback, and then expand the GtkArg a
> bit to include flags saying whether the type is read, write, or both
> (i.e., in, out, or both) and who has ownership of the pointer (the caller
> retains ownership, or transfers ownership to the called.)

the functionality for this is already in place:
/* Allocate a GtkArg array of size nargs that hold the
 * names and types of the args that can be used with
 * gtk_object_set/gtk_object_get. if (arg_flags!=NULL),
 * (*arg_flags) will be set to point to a newly allocated
 * guint array that holds the flags of the args.
 * It is the callers response to do a
 * g_free (returned_args); g_free (*acess_masks).
 */
GtkArg* gtk_object_query_args   (GtkType        class_type,
                                 guint32        **arg_flags,
                                 guint          *nargs);

> --
> Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)