GTK List & colors

Hi!

I've got two questions:
- How can I present a GTK List of say 10000 items?
  Doing gtk_listitem_with_label + show + adding it to the gtk_list is
  quite slow. (In fact twice as slow as doing it in Tk :(. I know,
               listitem can be anything, etc. but it's still SLOW :( )
  Actually, how can I catch the interaction between a ScrolledWindow and
  a List?
- How do I change the color of a label?
  For example, I want certain labels to have red text, no matter if the
  label is selected or no. (Used as part of a gtklist.)

TIA,
Andreas
P.S.: Could you mail me also directly any responses, as I'm not reading
      the gtk-mailing list reguarly.