Re: errors on making gtk

Adrian Cruceru <adi@aw.sgi.com> writes:

> Elliot Lee wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Adrian Cruceru wrote:
> >
> > > Any ideeas?
> > >
> > > I'm running IRIX6.2 on an Indy R5k / 256MB Memory and C dev.
> >
> > Are you using GNU make? If not, that'd be worth a try.
> >

> I have the freeware 2.0 CD, but apparently there is no gnu make inside.
> Is there a place where i can download it for IRIX6.2?

The sources are available from ftp.gnu.org. In my experience, GNU
make is pretty painless to build.

The distributed form of GTK is not supposed to require GNU make to
build. In fact, it works fine for me with the Berkeley pmake.

However, as you have noted $(DEP_FILES) does not exist. (It is
only defined when using gmake in the development version.) So
it is possible that pmake and GNU make accept a line like which
expands to simply

 : foo.c bar.c

while SGI's make chokes on it. Either deleting the line or installing
gmake should solve your problems.

The problem is that GDK's Makefile.am includes that dependency
itself. I don't think it is doing much good, because those dependencies
should be found automatically by the dependency tracking with
the development version, and it clearly isn't doing any good for
the released version.

So I'll remove it before the next release.

                                        Owen