Re: [gtk-list] GTK modula-3 bindings (this is NOT an announce)

Daniel Solaz wrote:

> In case you don't know, modula-3 looks a lot like ada, but is much
> simpler.
> I'm just starting with it, and may never finish, but I'd like to hear
> comments, flames or whatever you want to say.
> I post this because I'd like to know about the stability of the current
> API (as of 1.0). Right now I'm translating all GTK types, structures and
> function prototypes from 0.99.10 (will upgrade ASAP) to modula-3, just
> like the DEC guys did with X headers (this is probably going to be an
> UNSAFE interface, so a pure m3 layer on top of it will follow). It is a
> long job, and boring. Don't want to do it more than once.

A quite convenient way to do it may well be to use the gtk.defs file,
which describes the API in a more or less language independent way. It's
written in a parenthesized prefix (ie LISP-ish) style, which you may or
may not like the look of, but is dead easy to parse. Of course, if you
are comfortable with LISP or Scheme, then you don't even need to
explicitly parse it, just read the forms straight in.

>From reading this file it should be possible to machine generate
headers, interface descriptions, etc in whatever language you see fit.

> -Daniel

Regards
M.Beach