Re: Installing GTK by hand

"Daniel Solaz" <dsolaz@sistelcom.com> writes:

> In case it is not just absurdly complex, could somebody tell me where
> should each component of the GTK system be placed? I run Slackware linux
> and I like to make packages (a Slackware package is just a tgz with an
> extra control script, that can be uninstalled cleanly by pkgtool) of
> anything I use.
> I simply won't figure out what the correct paths are by looking at the
> makefile.
> How about static and shared libs in /usr/X11R6/lib, and headers in
> /usr/include/X11/[glib,gdk,gtk]? Would I miss something? Does the
> installer configure something I should do by hand?
> Thanks in advance.
> -Daniel

You are missing a bunch of things:

  $exec_prefix/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h
  $exec_prefix/bin/gtk-config
  $prefix/share/aclocal/gtk.m4
  $prefix/share/gtk.info* gdk.info* glib.info*

As someone else mentioned, it is best to make with prefix pointing
into some empty dir to make sure that you have identified everything.

Also, make sure that even if you don't install with 'make install'
you configure with the right prefix.

 ./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6

Because information from that choice of prefix is written into
the script gtk-config.

As for the choice of /usr/X11R6, that is a choice that depends on
your own (and Slackware's) policy on the matter. I think both
the Debian and Redhat packages use --prefix=/usr

Regards,
                                        Owen