Re: Multiple Display support in GTK+?

On 11 Apr, Alan Shutko shouted:
->  >>>>> "R" == raster  <raster@redhat.com> writes:
->
->  R> On 11 Apr, Jim Harmon shouted:
->
-> -> To use the second display in most situations, all you have to do is
-> -> drag the window you want to appear on the slave display from the
-> -> master display and drop it.
->
->  R> no - this may onyl work under limited circumstances: 1. both
->  R> displays must contain the same set of visuals, 2: the program does
->  R> not rely on the current root window id for things it is doing...
->
->  Well, I think he was talking about multiple displays as all except X
->  implement them.  But I was wondering what it would take for your above
->  restrictions to go away.  For example, BeOS allows multiple desks of
->  different resolution and depth, and you can just drag them between.
->  Is there any hope of extending X such that this can be done?

Highly doubtful. Apps rely on the settings they obtain on startup of bt
depth, visuals to use etc. - under X it is the apps responsability to
use the dit depths available - there is no "virtual RGB" abstraction in
X like Java. It would in theory be possible if Xservers were written as
virutal-24bit servers that dvertised to clients as beig 24bit, and thne
the Xserver handled dithersing,remapping etc. to the display when
needed.. so the Xserver becomes a virtual 24-bit engine.. that eithe
maps directly to 24bit if you run it or to 15/16bpp or to 8bpp with
some palette instituted and preferably wiht some form of dithering...
but this itself is a huge task... and I don't see it hapening in a
hirry.. but this would allow transefing between multiple bit-depths,
because as far as the app is concerned both screens are stil 24bpp.

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com