[gtk-list] RE: Q's: Animation & GTK Markup Language

   Tony Gale wrote:

 >> widget-level
 >> animation in gtk? Perhaps it could be hacked using timeout signals
 >> etc..?
 TG> I hope this never happens - any GUI feature that means I have to sit
 TG> here and wait for it to do-it's-thing will result in me not using it
 TG> - and this certainly applies to Windoze98. I'm rather a biggot when
 TG> it comes to my user interface :-) [mind you, my colleagues may say
 TG> that I'm a complete biggot anyway] - for example, when I'm forced to
 TG> use IE, the fact that you can't tell whether the Stop button is
 TG> active or not, due to that sunken feeling, really annoys me.

 TG> But enough of my pet hates.

you're 100% right. pretty animations are only pretty the first 10 times. after
that, they become annoying. so i strongly suggest that absolutely any animation
or purely "aesthetic" part at least can be disabled - both by the programmer
and later by the user (commandline-parameter, maybe). on a slow machine, every
dancing paperclip taking away valuable system resources makes your work take
more time and takes your attention away from the task at hand.