Re: [gtk-list] Re: gimp 0.99.23 and gtk 0.99.9

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Warwick Mitchell wrote:

> John Davis wrote:
>
> > I am having trouble with gimp 0.99.23 and gtk 0.99.9.  When I run the
> > configure script it fails to find gtk >= 0.99.7.  The gtk-config script
> > that it installs is definately in my path, and is the right one for gtk
> > 0.99.9.  It finds the correct gtk-config but always fails the version
> > check.  Any help?
>
> You have an old install lying around somewhere. You need to remove this old
> install. If you have redhat 5, it installed the original version that came
> with the distribution in /usr/lib, where as all the current releases of gtk
> are put in /usr/local/lib. If you are using redhat 5 you need to rpm --erase
> gtk, or something like that. If not, or that doesn't work try cd /usr/lib, and
> rm -f *glib* *gtk* *gdk*. Re run ldconfig.

I had identical install problems, and this is basically correct. Try doing
"rpm -e gtk". This will give you several other packages which depend on it
(control-panel and it's accessories). You will need to add those to the
rpm -e arguments (can leave off version number). Then, edit
/etc/ld.so.conf and make sure /usr/local/lib is in there, and then run
ldconfig. Then the GIMP should configure and compile without any trouble.

--
Andy Dustman
ComStar Communications Corp.