Re: [gtk-list] [bug] GTK November 97: File dialog bug :(

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Nicholas Lamb wrote:

> Some weeks/ months ago I thought that the File/Open bugs in GIMP were
> all gone, but now I've found that there's still a problem with all GTK
> file dialogs, unless it has been patched since the beginning of Nov. :(
>
> I've seen it manifest itself in various ways, but this one seems to work
> (nearly) every single time...
> Try this in GIMP's File/Open or in the testgtk file dialog:

Yep.  It's a real bug all right.  I took a look through the code, and
managed to find where it loops.

line 1167 in gtkfilesel.c:

static void
prune_memory_usage(CompletionState *cmpl_state)
{

It's actually in this loop on line 1184:

  while (cdl) {
    if (cdl->data == cmpl_state->reference_dir)
      cmpl_state->directory_storage = g_list_prepend(NULL, cdl->data);
    else
      free_dir (cdl->data);
    cdl = cdl->next;
  }

I'm not certain, but it seems that the cd1 linked list becomes a loop, and
this never ends.  However, I don't think that this part is actually the
problem.  I think it's caused by a bogus entry in the completion code or
something..  Anyway, that's as far as I got.

Ian