Yield?

What's the best way (if there is one) to let Gtk process events inside
another function? I'm not talking about a recursive main loop, but the
situation where you are running a time-consuming, and linear, task but
want to service window redraws, handle mouse input, etc.

gtk_main_iteration() seems to be close, but it doesn't handle window
redraws quickly enough for my tastes. I've played around a bit, and the
best variant I've found is:

        do {
            gtk_main_iteration();
        } while(gdk_events_pending());

May I suggest a gtk_main_yield() function that does this, or whatever is
appropriate? Yielding to the current loop is a fairly common operation in
GUIs.