Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gzilla 0.1.4 released

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, D. Jeff Dionne wrote:

> >    I've just put Gzilla 0.1.4 on the www.gzilla.com website. While still
> > quite unfinished, this release is basically usable.
>
> I'll say.  This becomes my browser of choice over lynx.  Quite a nice
> piece of work, I like it!

Thanks!

> It however does not compile on Slackware 3.3 (our standard install, RedHat
> is still too different for our users).  The problem seems to be an old verion
> of libjpeg which does not have libjpeg.h.  Even after finding jinclude.h,
> it's clear my libjpeg is a different (incompatible) version :-(  So, I
> took jpeg support out (just 2 or 3 #ifdefs in 1 or 2 files and the Makefile)
> and it works just fine.
>
> Which version of libjpeg is this for and perhaps (if it's not obvious),
> where is it located?

It's libjpeg6a, the current version. A mirror copy is available at
ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/libs/jpegsrc.v6a.tar.gz . At the same site
is a patch and a README which makes it easier to compile for shared
libraries on Linux.

I know that the install/configure part of Gzilla is one part that still
needs work. At the very least, it should do a better job of finding the
libraries and compile cleanly without them if not found. In that case, I
could probably fork off a "djpeg" process as a fallback, preserving the
ability to view JPEG images.

Thanks again,

Raph