Re: [gtk-list] Re: multithreaded app

Cool.  Thanks for the responses, Sumner and Scott.

I'm pretty interested in checking this out actually when I get RH5.
Doing MT with libc 5 and non-reentrant X11 has caused me nothing but
trouble (thus keeping the X11 part out for the time being to get
things done :-).  I could (probably should even!) use SysV IPC shared
memory and semaphores, but I like the lower overhead of threads and
simplicity for this particular application, though using IPC seems
good for portability.

I really want to leverage SMP, and use something which will be sort of
standard on Linux, which is why I want to stick with LinuxThreads.  I
just hope the two USR signals will be moved to reserved signals at
some point.

Out-of-the-box MT seems the only place where the Win32 kernel and
libraries has had a functional lead on Linux (MHO).  I hope the next
glibc-based releases of RedHat and Debian usher in a new era for Linux
of MT and a high level of standards compliance.  It's quite exciting.

--
Regards,
Andrew Veliath