Re: [gtk-list] Re: Possible to not use boxes

> > Is it possible to set the position of widgets using
> > the set_usize and set_uposition functions. I tried
> > this and I get segvs.
>
> Can you tell us why you want to avoid the GTK packing
> system? I'd like
> to be able to assume that absolute position setting on
> widgets is a last
> resort, because it will probably break sooner or later
> if you do it.

I am currently porting the wxWindows C++ GUI library to
the GTK. wxWindows sets its windows by using absolute
positions. In addition to that, it uses its own layout/
constraint system (_much_ more flexible than GTK's, of
course), which also absolutely requires positioning using
absolute coordinates.

> If you want to do something in particular, perhaps GTK
> can support it
> in a way which won't leave your app looking broken on
> everyone else's
> machines/ windowing systems. Maybe you need a new type
> of container?

The wxWindows's layout system will make it look good
on all systems.

I already feared having to write a new container or box.
There is really nobody, who has done that?

What I need, is very basic: I want to open a frame with
absolute positioning (or at least size) and I want to place
the widgets in this frame using absolute positioning and
size. If that isn't possible with the current GTK, will
that appear soon, or can anybody help me implementing
such a container (which should be easy, for somebody,
knowing what s/he is doing).

> If you're doing this because of a background in Visual
> Basic or something

You aren't getting impolite, or something? ;-)

  Thanks and regards,

    Robert Roebling