Re: [gtk-list] Possible to not use boxes

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Robert Roebling wrote:

>   Good day,
>
> Is it possible to set the position of widgets using
> the set_usize and set_uposition functions. I tried
> this and I get segvs.
> I want my widgets to be placed by setting the exact
> coordinates, not using any packing systems, boxes
> etc.

Can you tell us why you want to avoid the GTK packing system? I'd like
to be able to assume that absolute position setting on widgets is a last
resort, because it will probably break sooner or later if you do it.

If you want to do something in particular, perhaps GTK can support it
in a way which won't leave your app looking broken on everyone else's
machines/ windowing systems. Maybe you need a new type of container?

If you're doing this because of a background in Visual Basic or something
equally nasty then take a few hours to try packing boxes -- you might
grow to like it :)

Nick Lamb