Here's the README:

Date:  Mon Nov 17 15:15:42 PST 1997
Patch: gtk-dairiki-971117-1.patch

Bug fix.

The deeper subticks of hruler's were sometimes being given
zero tick length (i.e. invisible).

Also I have changed the tick length's for hrulers to make them
the same as those in vrulers, so that they match better.
Subticks used to be shorter in hruler's than in vruler's to allow
more space for the label text --- now I clear a rectangle behind
the text to avoid text/tick intermingling.

[ The patches are on gtk+-971109. ]

Until we meet again,
Geoffrey T. Dairiki <dairiki@alumni.caltech.edu>