gtk compile problem

Hi,

I am about to install gimp, which requires gtk to be compiled
and installed first.

Unfortunately the compile is working great and errors on the
linking process. here is the error message:

gcc -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl,libgdk.so.1 -o _libs/libgdk.so.1.0.0 gdk.lo
gdkcolor.lo gdkcursor.lo gdkdraw.lo gdkfont.lo gdkgc.lo gdkglobals.lo
gdkimage.lo gdkinput.lo gdkpixmap.lo gdkproperty.lo gdkrectangle.lo
gdkselection.lo gdkvisual.lo gdkwindow.lo gdkxid.lo gxid_lib.lo -lglib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext -lX11
ld: cannot open -lglib: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [libgdk.la] Error 1

Where do I get 'glib'?
Isn't that part of GTK?
Sorry, but I am lost here.
The is the first time I install gimp and gtk on my linux box (redhat 4.2)

Your input is definitely appreciated.

mattes