Re: [gtk-list] relief, borderwidth, and padding

On Thu, May 29, 1997 at 02:02:03AM -0500, Shawn T Amundson wrote:

> It seems to me that padding, borderwidth, and relief should all
> be done at the widget level.
>
> I have looked at how padding is done in the misc widget, and
> fail to understand why it is not in the general widget code.  It
> is not complex or bloated; it is very clean.  So why not make it
> available for everything?  I know you can emulate the same
> affect with containers, but it is not nearly as clean.
>
> Also, for reliefs, here is what I'm thinking:
>
> gtk_widget_relief_set(widget, GTK_RELIEF_RAISED);
>
> My goal is to be able to play with the button stuff without deriving
> a new widget.  I should be able to add a "clicked" callback, which
> changes the relief to lowered.  Then when it gets another "clicked",
> it gets set to flat.  (kind of a toggle button type thing, but not
> quite)
>
> What I mean by borderwidth is the width of the relief.
>
> The point is, for any object, you want to be able to set things like
> padding and relief without thinking ... Is that derived from the misc
> widget?  Is this specific to this other widget...
>
> In any case, I put this out here because I don't want to waste
> my time coming up with unwanted patches. ;-)  I'm becoming more
> adventurous as I look at C code more.

I certinaly won't object to the feature, but I'm curious...

What purpose would it solve, other than your "flat buttons"?  I'm just
curious what else it could be used for... it's not like any of the
other button widgets could go away, since they're more than simply
relief changes.

--
					-Otto.