Re: [gtk-list] Re: Request for Info Verification

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Peter Mattis wrote:

> I originally wrote gtk which included the three libraries, libglib,
> libgdk and libgtk. It featured a flat widget hierarchy. That is, you
> couldn't derive a new widget from an existing one. And it contained
> a more standard callback mechanism instead of the signal mechanism now
> present in gtk+. The + was added to distinguish between the original
> version of gtk and the new version. You can think of it as being an
> enhancement to the original gtk that adds object oriented features.

This is what I had assumed initially.  Perhaps it would be a
good thing to hack off the + to completely avoid confusion, at
least when it is seperated off from the GIMP.

> I think the last time Spencer and I talked about it we decided on
> GTK = Gimp ToolKit. But I don't know for sure. Its definately not
> GNU, though.

I *really* like "General ToolKit".  My only reasoning besides the
fact that I'll have to fix the graphic on my web page is that it sounds
odd to say that Aorta uses the Gimp ToolKit when Aorta has nothing
to do with the Gimp.  (Reasonable argument goes that Aorta does in
that it uses the Gimp's ToolKit. ;-)

Besides, you can tell people to conform and use the "General unix
ToolKit".  It sounds so much like a standard.

Thanks for the info, I'll update the FAQ when I wake up later today.

--
Shawn T. Amundson		University of Minnesota
Systems Administration	 	Computer Science System Staff

"I'm not aware of too many things
 I know what I know if you know what I mean"
		-Edie Brickell