Re: Gtk app build issues

On Fri, May 16, 1997 at 10:32:00AM -0700, Raph Levien wrote:

[snipage]

> > In any case, I'm absolutely ecstatic that you released some code!  The
> > GzillaByteSink stuff is precisely what I needed...
>
> I'm glad...

Okay, time to fess up a bit. :)

I've been working on/thinking about a filemanager.  I definitely don't
have any code on the magnitude of gzilla, but it's getting there.  I
haven't had much time to peruse the code for GzillaByteSink stuff, but
I suspect it will be quite useful.  I don't think they'll work quite
right the way they are, but maybe we can come to some middle ground
between my ideas and yours.  That's what I intend to do this weekend,
provided I spend some time finishing up my article (on Imake) for the
LJ...

Now about gzilla.

It's absolutely fabulous! :)

I have some questions, but I think I should read the code more
throughly before I start asking silly questions.

> > Being 3:00am, I think I ought to stop rambling and get some sleep
> > before I get back to work. :)
> >
> > Night all.
>
>    Stepping back for a moment, I've noticed that a lot of the problems
> people are talking about on this list have to do with using simple.c as
> the "hello world" template for building apps. However, simple.c has a lot
> of things wrong with it:
>
> + #include "gtk.h" rather than #include <gtk/gtk.h>
>
> + signal handlers call gtk_exit (0) rather than gtk_main_quit ()

Hrm... even my code has been calling gtk_exit(). :) I think this will
be very helpful as an example of good use of gtk+.

[snipage]
> One thing this example is sorely lacking is an autoconf script. I have no
> idea how to go about building one, but if anyone else here knows how and
> would be willing to contribute, I'd be happy to put it on the page.

I might be able to find the time to do this.  I've been toying with
autoconf a bit... but I've been finding that GNU make's default rules
work quite well. :)

I think it would require a new test to find where the gtk headers are,
but I don't think that is horribly difficult.  If someone out there
knows autoconf better than I, all the better... otherwise I'll use it
as a chance to bone up on autoconf.

I think it might be time to start keeping track of what projects are
out there.  I can put something up on the web page (probably next
week) if everyone who wants to be listed will e-mail me a short
description of what they're working on.

Back on the topic of the LJ, does anyone have an objection to my
offering the editors an article about gtk+?  I don't plan an extensive
tutorial, just a quick introduction to gtk+ and how it's being used.
If you read the Qt article in the LJ a bit back, that's about what I'm
thinking about.. that was the article that really got me tinkering
with Qt, and I think the same would do a world of good for gtk+.

I think I'm done rambling, for now... I should go write some code.

--
					-Otto.