[gtk-list] Another thread over gtk api?

HI,

I just came around to the gtk library. Looks cool. I started to code the
frontend for my application that computes some scientific data. The
problem I'd like to ask is how to make my application compute data in
background, whilst the api works and displays the images computed as they
come? Can I use mere threads? is gtk library thread-safe? Or should I use
some IPC & shared memory mechanisms instead, thus having at least two
processes? I'd really wanted to have it this way, since the gtk stops
redrawing its windows when I call something to compute (it takes seconds to
compute 1 image, whereas I need a lot of them).

BTW, does gtk have some page on the Internet or so ? I got it from
gimp-.99.9 two days ago. The demo program is a great tutorial.