[gtk-list] button speed way too slow

The design of the GtkButton is too slow for my calendar widget.
(42 buttons that have labels.  Labels all get changed when a
button is clicked.)

I found that the offender was gtk_container_check_resize in the
gtk_label_set.  If I just replace that with a gtk_widget_draw
there are no speed problems.  However, this has some very messy
results.

I can make a few assumptions:  the buttons need not resize, and
the only data in the button label is one or two characters or
nothing.  If there is only one character it needs to be right
justified.

How can I make changing a button's label faster?

--
Shawn T. Amundson		University of Minnesota
Systems Administration	 	Computer Science System Staff

You can't talk to a PSYCHO like a normal human being!!!!  -Poe