[gtk-list] Re: Additional bindings to gtk

Otto <otto@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 1997 at 03:38:35AM -0400, G. Sumner Hayes wrote:
>>
>> Count me in as one who would love a web interface to the list archive.
>>
>> Have the Perl interface folk
>> considered looking at Swig?  It gives a unified way of creating
>> Perl, Python, Tcl, and Guile extensions to a program; I'm not sure
>> how easy it would be to get a clean OO design using it, though,
>> so it might be best to do things by hand.
>>

> What's swig and where is it?

You give it a bunch of semi-generic C statements and it automagically
generates the scripting-language bindings.  The C statements are
remarkably similar to header files; often only a very little tweaking
is necessary.

>From the Swig README:

| 1. Introduction
| ---------------
|
| SWIG is a compiler that makes it easy to integrate C and C++ code with
| scripting languages including Perl, Tcl, and Python.  In a nutshell,
| you specify a bunch of ANSI C/C++ declarations and it generates an
| interface to your favorite scripting language.
[SNIP]
| To use SWIG, you will need at least one of the following scripting
| languages :
|
|         Tcl7.3, Tk3.6  (and all newer versions)
|         Tcl8.0, Tk8.0  (Highly experimental)
|         Python1.3 (or newer)
|         Perl5
|         Perl4
|         Guile
|         [incr Tcl]

Once you have the interface file (which is really easy to write), it'll
automatically generate all of the above scripting lang. extensions.
I've never used it for anything too complicated, so I don't know how easy
it would be to handle OO C code (it deals with C++) in a nice OO manner.

> I, personally want Python bindings.

Me too.

> I think this relates to my question... anyone know when gtk will
> become a separate package?  I vaguely remeber someone mentioning it
> would happen after gimp-1.0 was released... so when's that gonna
> happen. :)

I know that Pete occasionally makes gtk releases in /pub/pmattis at
ftp.xcf.berkeley.edu; there hasn't been one since gimp-0.99.9, so
that's still the most recent gtk.

TTFN,

  Sumner