Re: [gtk-list] Re: widgets

On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 1997 christian.sunesson@abc.se wrote:
> > 	Wouldn't it be cool if all the widgets were in their own dynamic
> > object files so gtk could load them with dl_open ?  That way it'd be
> > possible to keep different sets of widgets for the same thing, they'd just
> > look different.
>
> It's possible now, you just dlopen() the file yourself, and call the
> 'gtk_classname_init()' function right after loading it.

Ok, then it is easy to do.

> I'm thinking it's not something people will be wanting to do tho

Well, with a configuration file you can choose more freely how your
widgets should look. And changing a widget just implies copying in a
plugin to the 'widget-plugin-direrctory'.

Why do you think people don't want it?

> > 	Why doesn't gtk use resource files?
> You mean those things that Windoze uses to hold all the information on a
> dialog box/screen/menu? My guess is because nobody has added the option
> yet (you just volunteered - we all salute you :-).

No, those are INI files. I'm talking about the app-defaults files. They
look like this: (example)

GIMP*Button.Font: -*-helvetica-*-16-*
GIMP.somewidgetname.someklassname.Background: DarkBlue

It's in libX11 (Functions named Xrm*) so wouldn't it be a good thing to
use it?