Re: [gtk-list] Gzilla widget set design proposal

Raph Levien wrote:

>    I've decided that Gzilla will contain its own widget set
> specialized for the display of Web pages.

That does not speak much for GTK, if it is not possible to build a
"real" application with GTK. I don't think that Motif needs some extra
Widgets.

I am thinking about a spreadsheet. There will be the same problem, if
you look at a database with 20000 entries.

Perhaps it will be usefull for GTK, if the objects are not created at
the time they are defined but at the time they become visible. Perhaps
this can be implemented via flag, because this method will be slower
than the normal way. What do you think about such a feature?

> 3. GTK size negotiation doesn't support wrapped text. In other words,
> there's no way for the height of the widget to depend on the width.

Perhaps this would also be usefull for the other widgets.

>    Thus, I propose a new Gzilla widget set to function alongside the
> GTK widget set. Gzilla widgets will be extremely specialized - they
> will lack all features not required for Web page display (I have in
> mind grabs, focus, keyboard accelerators, key events, selections, and
> connectable signals, leaving only size negotiation, exposure, and
> mouse events).

This will be a very bad decision if someone wants to create a
Java-capable browser. The more I think about this new widgets, the more
I come to the conclusion, that this is the wrong way! On Windows are no
extra widgets for the Browser, either. And the masosado-browder scrolls
quite fast. Why should this not be possible with GTK? It's really bad
design, if one has to create always new widgets, if a bit more
complicated problem occurs.

-- bis später...
 - Sascha         ---<~>=( http://www.ping.de/sites/aibon/ )=<~>---

   () Free speech online