Re: [gtk-list] More gzilla/gtk issues

On Mon, Jun 02, 1997 at 12:11:27PM -0700, Raph Levien wrote:

[lots of thoughts snipped]

>    I'm pretty comfortable with this recommendation, but am not sure if
> the rest of the gtk community is willing to accept the extra complexity.
> It's likely that wrapping widgets would only be heavily used in gzilla.
> It wouldn't be too hard to just do tables within the page widget, and
> I'd also avoid the 32767 pixel limit and thousands-of-teeny-windows
> performance bug. But I'd like to avoid the duplication of code with
> gtktable.c if it's at all practical.

I could also use some widget-wrapping stuff in gtk.  I haven't touched
any of that stuff with my filemanager, just yet... but I had intended
on writing something of the sort into the iconbox widget.

Plus, I like the idea of having menu bars that wrap appropriately, if
I feel like making a window smaller than it wants to be. :)

As for the specific implementation... I haven't given it much thought,
but it seems what you suggest is reasonably thought out.  I can't
really think of a good way to deal with it, without creating dozens of
new widgets for each special case. (the idea of having all the
wrapping code in one place gives me the warm fuzzies... I don't want
to debug the same code in a dozen different places)

>    Finally, I've been experimenting with antialised text using t1lib.
> The initial results are encouraging, but it's going to need a bit more
> work. For one, t1lib's antialiasing code is very slow. It's also stuck
> at 2x antialiasing, while I think the extra smoothness of 4x is worth
> it. In any case, I sent some of my fast antialising code to Reiner, so
> it's likely that a future release of t1lib will contain some really
> spiffy antialising code. In any case, it's fun to play with.

Ohh!  Finally, a web browser with antialised fonts... I'm truly sick
of the lousy job Netscape does. :)

--
					-Otto.