Re: [gtk-list] Making gtk thread-safe

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Elliot Lee wrote:

> I've been thinking about making gtk thread safe. It seems like it is
> becoming an often-requested feature. Here are some random thoughts of mine
> on the issue:
>
> The easiest way to do this is the global mutex. This doesn't help
> performance very much, though.

I wonder where gtk spends most of its time? It seems pretty efficient, so
I'd *guess* that the real time sinks are in Xlib and the Xserver. If that's
the case, a single mutex is all you need.

Also, most multithreaded windowing apps dedicate a single thread to the
user interface, which would also suggest this approach. I suspect that
any type of fine-grained locking on gtk would be a huge loss?

Erik

| "Tarball is idiomatically related to furball and hairball" -- Carl D. Roth  |
|       Erik Troan   =   ewt@redhat.com     =    ewt@sunsite.unc.edu          |