Re: [gtk-list] Re: GraphicsExpose (was Re: About the About Box)

Tim Janik <Tim.Janik@Hamburg.Netsurf.DE> writes

> > I don't think this will help. XSync (or gdk_flush()) only affect
> > the output queue. Since the problem is GraphicsExpose events sitting
> > in the input queue, the only way to fix it is to process those events
> > before doing the XCopyArea.
>
> i have the same problem in gemvt (TODO):
> GtkTerm:
> *       area copying relys on expose events, but they appear asyncronous
>         ex.: move GtkTerm have a line out of the screen an do ls / -R
>
> so, have you had any experience with backing store in this case?
> i mean drawing in an unvisible window and copying from there into the
> scroleld one?

That should work fine, as long as you can stand the overhead of
keeping the pixmap around. I could do without "wasting" a half
meg of memory per terminal window though...

> i think i'll just do the exposes on my self, as the scrolling code normaly
> knows what got obscured, it can just forgo the x servers expose events.

But I don't think that will work, since you can never know what
portions of your window are off-screen or obscured. Doing the
exposes you do know about is always a good idea (as Raph as pointed
out), because you get better performance that way (you save a
round trip to the server).

We need to figure out a solution for the text widget and for the GIMP
anyways, so you might as well wait for that and use it in gemvt.
I don't think it will end up being more than a few lines in the
applications that need it.

Regards,
                                        Owen