Re: [gtk-list] Re: Tracking object deletion

On 11 Dec 1997, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Wow, I really strayed off track. I guess the short answer is - for

yep, but at least from my side it was much apprechiated ;)

> now, use "destroy" and warn users off referring to the object in an
> installed "destroy" handler. In the future, you probably shouldn't
> have such a thing.

> P.S.
>
> While I'm on the subject, I'll bring up a related issue:
>
> When should Marius's patches go in? (See his post a few weeks ago for
> more details) It will break most existing apps in a few easy-to-fix
> ways, and possibly in more subtle ways if they tried to do
> sophisticated things. (But if they did so, they are probably broken,
> since GTK can't do those sophisticated things now).

i'd vote for putting it in quite soon, in the end it will fix
more bugs than introduce and i'm talking about the GIMP side here.

> The looming specter is the release of the GIMP. It's probably better
> to make the changes now, while the GIMP is (barely) prelease, then
> break compatibility later. But the opposing view is: "things almost
> work now for the GIMP, wait until later, to do things that might
> introduce bugs"

i don't think the "let's not hassle with bugs we don't see right know"
attitude would be the correct one before an 1.0 release.

> Regards,
>                                         Owen

---
ciaoTJ