Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk+-971201

> There are no libgtk libraries in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib. The
> libgtk packages for Debian (which I'm the maintainer of) install the
> libraries into /usr/X11R6/lib, and the include files into
> /usr/include.

I assume you've checked for old include files in /usr/local/include
as well.

> This is bugging the heck out of me :) How can I start debugging this?

Well, first run testgtk with the --show-events option. See if
the keystroke events produced look correct.

If so, recompile GTK with --enable-debug --disable-shared. (See
if --disable-shared makes a difference, still on the off-chance
it is something with old libraries)

Fire up GDB on testgtk. Set a break on gtk_entry_draw_text.
(Question, does the initial text appear in the entry for the
entry test?).

> b gtk_entry_draw_text
[ start the entry test ]
>  p entry->visible

(Should be 1)

continue (c), enter a character, see if gtk_entry_draw_text is
called again. Is entry->visible still correct? Step through
the code - does it look like it should be drawing things?

> I'm most definitely up-to-date with all my libraries and gcc
> (2.7.2.3).. is there a different place I could get the gtk+ source
> from, besides ftp.gimp.org, perhaps?

I really doubt that's the problem. We'd have certainly heard
about it by now if entries generically don't work under
gtk+-971201.

Regards,
                                        Owen