Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk and the scripting languages of the world

Kenneth Albanowski <kjahds@kjahds.com> writes:

> On 22 Aug 1997, Marius Vollmer wrote:
>
> > Do signal handlers have deletion notification?  There are the global
> > `destroy' and `marshal' functions, but I would prefer to have
> > individual deletion callbacks for each signal handler I install.
>
> Only through the destroy function, which I found to be sufficient. Since
> you can store any data in the gpointer, I stored a Perl AV* (an array
> variable) that contains all the arguments the callback is to be invoked
> with, and sufficient information to delete the callback.

I found that I need to `enhance' the signal mechanism anyway, so I
have added a destroy function in the process.  We should avoid global
variables wherever we can.

> > I think accessing foreign data is not important.  But we could couple
> > the object_data mechanism with the the type system, so that every
> > datum also stores a type.
>
> This may not be feasible for the mechanisms that use Xlib directly.

Then we can't use them.  But the gtk_object_set_data/get_data
mechanism can work with types, I think.