Combo box widget

Gtk gurus,

I am trying to write a combo box widget [1] and am through with deriving
it from gtkentry and displaying the arrow etc.

Can someone advise me on which one of the following implementations is
better for the list ?

(a) Implementing the list as a separate gtklist widget and managed by
    gtkcombo.
(b) Writing it from the first principles from a Gdkwindow and
    duplicating code in gtklist.

Sorry if some of this sounds stupid -- never written a widget before.

	-Arun

[1] For people not familiar with combo boxes, it's the same as a
gtkentry, with an history list a la Netscape URL entry window.