Re: pango-view --backend=cairo doesn't use fontconfig - why not?

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 5:27 PM,  <pango parvis nl> wrote:

pango-view --backend=cairo doesn't use fontconfig - why not?

I compiled cairo & pango with fontconfig enabled.

pango-view backends aft and ft2 do use fontconfig, cairo doesn't.

Whant can I do to enable fontconfig in pangocairo?

On 2018-04-25, at 16:40, Dov Grobgeld <dov grobgeld gmail com> wrote:

I don't know what you are trying to achieve, but perhaps https://github.com/dov/paps can be of help? It uses both cairo, pango, and fontconfig (since that is what pango uses by default).

Regards,
Dov

Unfortunately no.

What I'm trying to achieve is using rrdtool with DejaVuSansMono font. That works fine on Centos6 and Fedora27, but not on the port to Mac for Munin that I'm working on, and I really don't understand what is happening.

I've built from source freetype fontconfig dejavu-fonts cairo harfbuzz pango rrdtool.

cairo ./configure has this output:

The following font backends:
  User:          yes (always builtin)
  FreeType:      yes
  Fontconfig:    yes
  Win32:         no (requires a Win32 platform)
  Quartz:        no (disabled, use --enable-quartz-font to enable)

I've created several test programs, but pango-view has the benefit of being an official program. It defaults to using cairo, and cairo has the fontconfig backend, so why is fontconfig not used?

I've tried the cairo mailing list (cairo cairographics org) but my messages are not posted, and cairo irc (irc.freenode.net #cairo) where nobody is talking.

--
Thanks,
paul.