basic_engine_shape fails to load font on linux

Guys,

I’m seeing ‘shaping failure, expect ugly output’ and my application is crashing (linux, pango 1.36.8)

I can see that a call to pango_fc_font_face_lock has failed in basic_engine_shape (basic-fc.c)

My application runs correctly on Windows with Mingw-w64 generated libraries, but I can’t see what could be causing my error on linux.

I’ve started tracing fontconfig debug messages, but they don’t appear to show a problem.

Can anyone suggest where I should look, please?

Thanks, Simon