Font settings via XSETTINGS vs fontconfig

Benjamin,

At the typography BoF at GUADEC you asked why the GNOME font settings where
routed through XSETTINGS and not by writing to an XML fontconfig config file.
I said there's probably no reason for that and that's just the way Owen or
whoever did the work did it.

But then I thought about it more and I'm confident that it's because up until
about 2007 / 2008 we didn't have file monitoring in glib, and as such Gtk+
couldn't pickup fontconfig changes (including config changes) on the fly.  So
apps had to be restarted for font settings to take effect, which is a
non-starter.  Thought, it's still possible to write a config file, send a
XSETTINGS signal, then on the client side reload fontconfig config, which is
actually how we do it now, but gnome-settings-daemon detects config changes,
so there's no need for a tweak tool to send any signal, it can just write a
config file and it will be picked up in a second or two...

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/