Re: Module-less pango vs pangox-compat

On 15-04-24 04:01 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
On Fri, 2015-04-24 at 14:31 -0700, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
Hi Matthias,

Just a quick note that with the module-less pango, the pangox-compat
lib won't work anymore.  Not that *anyone* cares...

Some distros care. In Gentoo, I see seven remaining packages that have a
direct dependency on pangox-compat:

* acroread (for opening some pdf files with filled-in forms) * atokx3 *
gtkglext * gtkmathview * proprietary nvidia-drivers (legacy versions,
needed for Geforce 9 and older gpus) * sawfish * vmware-workstation

Of course, anything that depends on gtkglext or gtkmathview then also
pulls in pangox-compat into its depgraph.

That was exactly the case in August 2012, when I developed the pangox-compat
package.  The fact that those packages link to it doesn't mean that they
actually use it.  The package continues to build and link, it just won't
perform any text rendering.  If anyone is actually relying on it rendering
text, then they'll be disappointed.

I suggest you ignore this and let the bug report(no s) come in eventually.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/